BJP defends Joshi, calls him a `sage` politician
New Delhi/Allahabad: BJP on Saturday defended
party veteran Murli Manohar Joshi against allegations by NRI
businessman Anshuman Mishra that he sought to meet officials
of companies involved in 2G spectrum scam, dismissing the
charges as "false" and "baseless".
It also described 78-year-old Joshi, who is the Chairman
of Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee(PAC) that also
probed the 2G scam, as a `sage` politician who is a symbol of
crusade against corruption.
Joshi himself rejected the charges saying they were an
outcome of the "frustration" he must be experiencing following
the denial of Rajya Sabha ticket from Jharkhand.
"My party has already given a befitting reply to the
slander of Anshuman Mishra who has been sulking ever since his
hopes of becoming a Rajya Sabha member were dashed.
Thereafter, he has been training his guns at one BJP
leader after another. His first target was Advani, then he
went after some other party leaders and now he has chosen me
for his diatribe", Joshi told reporters in Allahabad.
BJP spokesperson Tarun Vijay claimed that those who were
in the forefront of demanding action in corruption cases are
now being targeted because of ulterior motives.
"It is our fervent request to media not to give any
credence to such wild allegations which do not have an iota of
truth. Dr Joshi is a rishi (sage) politician, a symbol of
crusade against corruption," Vijay told reporters in Delhi.
Congress` Sanjay Nirupam said Joshi should step down as
PAC Chief even if there is an iota of truth in the
Mishra, who withdrew his candidature for the Rajya Sabha
from Jharkhand after BJP withdrew its support to him, has
claimed to have introduced Joshi to senior executives of 2G
scam accused companies when the panel was probing the spectrum
The NRI businessman has claimed that he was the BJP`s
fund-raiser for over a decade and said that Joshi called him
seeking funds for elections. Mishra also claimed to have
played a role in Joshi`s poll campaign in 2004 and 2009.
To a query, Joshi asserted he had "strongly opposed"
giving a Rajya Sabha ticket to Mishra when his opinion was
Anshuman alleged while talking to Star News that BJP
leader Arun Jaitley considered him as a threat since he is
also an "accomplished lawyer".
He asked whether Jaitley can deny that he spoke to him
several times ahead of 2009 Lok Sabha elections apparently to
seek help and alleged that the BJP leader "manipulates" the
Targeting Yashwant Sinha again, Anshuman said he came
from another party.
The NRI businessman said all political parties take help
during elections and claimed he had also helped BJP with funds
from his friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in