BJP demands CBI inquiry into DERC not announcing tariff order
New Delhi: Accusing Delhi government of being
"hand-in-glove" with power distribution companies for
favouring hike in power tariffs, BJP today demanded a CBI
probe into the issue and 20 per cent reduction in prevailing
Delhi government on May 4 had forced Delhi Electricity
Regulatory Commission (DERC) not to announce the tariff order
apparently coming under pressure from the three private power
distribution companies which had complained that their demand
for increasing power tariff has not been considered by the
regulator while finalising the new tariff structure.
"It is a planned and concerted effort to loot the
hard-earned money of Delhiites to ensure undue profit for the
private electric partners," city BJP President Vijendra Gupta
told reporters here.
The DERC, which was making last minute preparations to
announce the new tariff for the year 2010-11, after receiving
the government directive had indicated that it had planned to
cut down the tariff by 20 to 25 per cent as discoms would have
a surplus of around Rs 4,000 crore if the existing tariff was
not tinkered with.
The government had issued the directive to the DERC
exercising a special power under the Delhi Electricity Act.
Demanding a CBI inquiry into the matter, Gupta said the
data available on the DERC website proved that the discoms
have earned a surplus of over a thousand crore in the previous
fiscal and that there was no justification for an increase in
"The data available on the DERC website says BSES Yamuna
and BSES Rajdhani made over Rs 157.32 crore and Rs 319 crore
profit respectively. Where is the loss that they are demanding
a hike?," he said.
He said the government was helping power companies "loot
"Else, why would it have invoked the electricity Act and
intervene when the power regulator DERC was about to announce
tariffs?," he asked.
Gupta also slammed the government for transferring power
secretary Rajendra Kumar to MCD.
"Why was the power secretary transferred all of a
sudden?," he said.
Last week DERC, hardening its position on the issue, had
shot off letters to all three private discoms rejecting
point-by-point all their arguments demanding an increasing in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly