BJP ready for passage of Lokpal Bill even without discussion
New Delhi: BJP today said it favours passage of the Lokpal Bill even without discussion in Parliament while stressing that it is the duty of the government to secure support for the measure from its allies.
However, the party said it is opposed to the Communal Violence Bill.
"We want it (Lokpal Bill) passed after discussion. We are for the Lokpal," said BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad after the party`s parliamentary party meeting here.
Taking on the government, he said it is the government`s duty to secure support from its allies and supporting parties.
"For the last nine years, government was managing support from Samajwadi Party. But on such an important issue like Lokpal, why government is not been able to secure support" he asked.
"Lokpal Bill has been discussed in detail in the Select Committee. So even if some allies want to create hurdles for the Bill to be passed, BJP is even ready to pass it without any debate. Because it is an important issue and there are expectations from it. This should be passed in the Rajya Sabha and later in Lok Sabha."
Opposing the communal violence Bill, he said, "It will have a serious implication on the country`s federal structure. The Cabinet has passed it hurriedly. Law and order is a state subject. Chief Ministers including Jayalalitha and Narendra Modi have serious objections on it."
He said, "The government, which is on its way out, is trying to do it for vote bank politics. When people were dying in Muzaffarnagar, the government did not even send an advisory to the UP government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot