BJP running out of allies not Congress: Rahul
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi today dismissed as mere "projection" the suggestion that no allies are coming to Congress and said that the cap fits the BJP-led NDA as its former allies are not supporting Narendra Modi`s candidature.
"Large number of previous NDA allies are not supporting the current candidate. They include BJD, Nitish Kumar (JD-U) and there are many others. It`s true that we do not have an alliance in West Bengal and Tamil Nadu. But Congress has an alliance with NCP, RJD, RLD and JMM (in Maharashtra, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand).
"The BJP does not have alliances. That is a fact but the projection is different. The projection is that Congress does not have allies," Gandhi said seeking to dispel the notion that his party is turning friendless in the run up to the Lok Sabha polls.
The 2014 Lok Sabha elections are considered a difficult election for the party battling a ten-year-long anti-incumbency.
Senior leader A K Antony, who heads the Congress panel on alliances, was on the dais when Gandhi answered the query.
There has been a view in sections of the party that the alliance managers in the party dragged the issue and had timely decisions been taken, Ram Vilas Paswan`s LJP would not have joined the NDA.
Congress, which was hopeful of the merger of K Chandrasekhar Rao`s TRS, was in for a shock as the party has ruled out even an alliance with it now.
In Uttar Pradesh, BJP succeeded in finalising alliance with Apna Dal, which was having seat sharing negotiations with Congress.
Similarly, BJP managed a grand alliance with smaller parties like DMDK and PMK in Tamil Nadu. There was earlier talk of Congress eyeing a tie-up with DMDK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you