BJP seeks Chavan`s resignation over CVC controversy
Mumbai: Maharashtra BJP on Thursday demanded the
resignation of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in connection
with the CVC appointment controversy.
"Prithviraj Chavan should resign on moral grounds since
his name was mentioned by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the
Rajya Sabha in connection with appointment of P J Thomas,"
State BJP President Sudhir Mungantiwar said here today.
Chavan`s predecessor, Ashok Chavan, too had stepped down
as Maharashtra Chief Minister on moral grounds when his name
cropped up in the Adarsh Society scam, Mungantiwar said.
"Prithviraj Chavan took the charge of the state as Mr
Clean. But then he was accused of getting a flat (meant for
below-poverty-line category). His name came up in the S-Band
controversy, and now the Prime Minister has directly named him
in the Thomas matter," he said.
Mungantiwar said Chavan, in effect, was facing the
accusation that he hid information from the Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh during the stint in the PMO.
The state Congress, later, shot back, referring to
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa.
"Has the BJP asked its Chief Minister Yeddyurappa to
establish his morality over corruption charges?" party
spokesperson Anant Gadgil said.
Gadgil said the BJP had not taken action even against its
Mumbai unit chief, Raj Purohit. The High Court had recently
asked CBI to file an FIR against Purohit in a land scam case.
On Chavan`s involvement in the Thomas case, Gadgil
said the Prime Minister had merely spoken about the procedure
while answering a question by Arun Jaitley, the Leader of
Opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
Meanwhile, Chavan today left for Delhi, with some media
reports linking his visit with the Thomas controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi