BJP shies away from early re-entry of BSY into party fold
Bangalore: BJP has shied away from early re-entry of former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa into the party fold, apprehending that a green signal would provide "ammunition" to the Congress to attack it.
"It`s a question of the party`s image. We don`t want to give a stick to the Congress to beat us," a senior BJP leader said, who expects possible coming back of the political heavyweight closer to the elections, when defections from one party to another are seen as "normal".
A section of the BJP state unit is pushing for the return of Yeddyurappa, who quit the party last year and forged Karnataka Janata Party which, however, won only six seats in the 224-member Assembly in the May polls.
But KJP garnered nearly ten per cent of the total vote share, damaging the prospects of BJP, which sought a mandate to return to power, with the Congress registering a landslide victory.
BJP state unit yesterday released a list of its new office-bearers and chiefs of various Morchas, virtually shutting the door on aspirants from KJP, who were expected to be accommodated in case of an early merger.
Yeddyurappa has also sought to harden his stand. "There is no question of going back to the BJP. I plead with people not to make efforts towards my return to BJP," he said. KJP has already made it clear it would support the NDA.
Meanwhile, former Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda, a key figure pushing for his return to the party, told reporters that Yeddyurappa`s pain (that he had to leave the party which he nurtured and built) was understandable, adding, BJP`s high-command would have to take decision on taking him back.
KJP sources said the party has sought a key position for Yeddyurappa in decision-making process as a pre-condition for his return, but BJP leaders said their central leadership has not given a green signal, which is expected to come only closer to the Lok Sabha elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!