BJP trying to `impose` Sanskrit language: Vaiko
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Slamming the Central Board of Secondary Education for directing its affiliated schools to celebrate `Sanskrit week` on an experimental basis, Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam on Thursday charged its ally, BJP, with trying to `impose` the language on students.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko further demanded withdrawal of the circular.
In a statement here, Vaiko said the CBSE circular was an `assault` on Indian pluralism.
"It is grievous that the Centre is trying to impose Sanskrit through the CBSE," he alleged.
The CBSE directive had hailed Sanskrit as the "mother" of all languages and this was a conspiracy to "plant poisonous seeds" in the hearts of students who belong to diverse backgrounds, including language and culture, he further alleged.
"It is a dangerous and atrocious measure to attempt to impose the culture of a particular section of people on others," he said, adding only Tamil, an ancient classical language, had the pride and distinction of being the primary language among others.
"Tamil Nadu will never allow imposition of the language and culture of a particular section of people which had struggled and won in resurrecting Tamil from the influence of Sanskrit, he said."
The CBSE had asked all its affiliated schools to celebrate `Sanskrit week` on an experimental basis to popularise and stimulate interest in it and develop apps on the language.
A CBSE letter to all school heads recently said the week would be organised between August 7 and 13 during which students would be encouraged to participate in short speech competitions in Sanskrit, compose short poems and developing apps and games for Sanskrit learning.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report