BJP trying to `impose` Sanskrit language: Vaiko
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: Slamming the Central Board of Secondary Education for directing its affiliated schools to celebrate `Sanskrit week` on an experimental basis, Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam on Thursday charged its ally, BJP, with trying to `impose` the language on students.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko further demanded withdrawal of the circular.
In a statement here, Vaiko said the CBSE circular was an `assault` on Indian pluralism.
"It is grievous that the Centre is trying to impose Sanskrit through the CBSE," he alleged.
The CBSE directive had hailed Sanskrit as the "mother" of all languages and this was a conspiracy to "plant poisonous seeds" in the hearts of students who belong to diverse backgrounds, including language and culture, he further alleged.
"It is a dangerous and atrocious measure to attempt to impose the culture of a particular section of people on others," he said, adding only Tamil, an ancient classical language, had the pride and distinction of being the primary language among others.
"Tamil Nadu will never allow imposition of the language and culture of a particular section of people which had struggled and won in resurrecting Tamil from the influence of Sanskrit, he said."
The CBSE had asked all its affiliated schools to celebrate `Sanskrit week` on an experimental basis to popularise and stimulate interest in it and develop apps on the language.
A CBSE letter to all school heads recently said the week would be organised between August 7 and 13 during which students would be encouraged to participate in short speech competitions in Sanskrit, compose short poems and developing apps and games for Sanskrit learning.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog