BJP wants Telangana bill in Monsoon Session
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Keen to share credit for the formation of Telangana, the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday demanded that the government bring a bill to create Telangana state in Monsoon Session of Parliament and pass it.
The BJP has long been a votary of a spate Telangana and promised to create the state within three months if it came to power in the Centre.
However, with the Congress biting the Telangana bullet after dillydallying for years, the BJP has reasons to be worried given its mission to win a majority of seats in Telangana in 2014.
Earlier, the party described the decision to form a separate state of Telangana as the victory of the region`s people and said it will carefully watch if the intention (of the Congress) is to "backstab or give Telangana".
Party spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said his party has consistently backed the decision to form a separate Telangana.
He said the Congress had also promised statehood to Telangana in 2004 and its government had announced the start of the process to form a separate state in 2009 but had gone back on it.
"The Congress` words can be welcomed only when they turn into reality," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan