BJP will build Ram temple in Ayodhya soon: Amit Shah
Zee Media Bureau
Ayodhya: Ahead of the upcoming General Elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party played the Ram Temple card when its general secretary said he wished the party will soon build a grand temple for Lord Rama here.
Driving straight to the temple town from Lucknow, Shah offered prayers before the idols of Lord Ram at the makeshift Ram temple built here in 1992 and then went to the nearby Hanuman Garhi temple.
Amidst "Jai Shri Ram" chants, BJP national general secretary and UP in-charge Amit Shah, who is on a visit here, told reporters: "I have prayed that we together build a grand Ram temple here as soon as possible and restore Lord Ram to his rightful place."
The Ram temple issue has helped the party boost its electoral prospects in the past and Shah`s visit appears to be an attempt to raise this issue again in the coming elections.
The close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi also said that he prayed for a "Congress-free India".
"I came to visit the Ram temple which is a centre of faith for crores of Hindus from around the world. After worshipping here I have prayed that good governance is established in the country and the nation gets rid of the Congress," Shah told reporters.
Janata Dal (United) chief Sharad Yadav, meanwhile, commented on Shah`s statement, saying either legal route or compromise could resolve the Ram Temple issue. "Let Amit Shah say anything," Yadav added.
Under Modi as BJP Election Campaign Committee Chief, the party wants to recapture its old base in Uttar Pradesh which is crucial for the party to form a government at the Centre. The state has 80 Lok Sabha constituencies and BJP is eyeing around 40 seats where it can put up a good fight in the polls, sources said.
Shah, the former home minister of Gujarat, however, refused to answer questions on the CBI chargesheet in Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
There are reports that Shah may be named in a subsequent chargesheet.
He later met state leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party`s Avadh Prant, which includes 14 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi