Shillong: BSF today warned Bangladesh Rifles
that it would not observe "restraint" shown earlier in the
event of "misadventure" from their side.
"We have made it clear that we will not observe the same
restraint as we maintained during the last firing by BDR
(along the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya). Unilateral
restraint is not possible," BSF (Assam and Meghalaya) chief R
C Saxena, who met a BDR delegation led by Brig Gen Md Obaidul
Haque at Dawki in Meghalaya, said.
The high-level meeting was held after the BDR on June 15
fired over 3,000 rounds at India in at least five places along
the international border in Meghalaya, injuring a school
teacher. Indian villagers had gone for cultivation on land
held in `adverse position` by India near Noljuri when the BDR
fired at them.
"The BSF had not fired a single shot on June 15. They
(BDR) have been repeatedly been violating the status quo as
well as the agreements reached between the two forces. But we
will not tolerate this anymore," Saxena said referring to the
last BSF-BDR DG level meeting where it was agreed that both
the forces would not resort to firing along the border.
The BDR, during the meeting, alleged three Bangladeshis
were injured when BSF opened fire on the same day, a charge
rubbished by BSF.
On BDR`s reaction to BSF concerns, Saxena said, "The BDR
delegation said they need to speak to their higher ups. They
said they would come back to us in a few days."
The BSF said Indian villagers who cultivated land held in
adverse possession by India would be provided security.
The BSF also said it would ask the Union Home Ministry to
take up the issue with Bangladesh at a higher level.