BSNL engineers call one-day hunger strike on Oct 2
New Delhi: Over 10,000 engineers and account
officers of state-owned telecom firm BSNL will go on hunger
strike tomorrow on Gandhi Jayanti Day demanding absorption of
officers on deputation and pay revisions, nearly one and a
half months after engineers struck work for four days.
The one-day country-wide hunger strike has been called by
the All-India Graduate Engineer Telecom Officers Association
BSNL engineers and account officers went on a four-day
strike between August 18 and August 21 on same demand of
absorption of officers on deputation. The strike was called
off after Telecom Minister A Raja gave an assurance of
"fairly" resolving the issue.
The earlier strike was called by The United Forum of BSNL
Unions, which includes seven union of the telecom firm with
1.5 lakh non-executive employees.
The Association`s demands include absorption of ITS
officers, who are working on deemed deputation in BSNL, for
the last nine years against the guideline of DPE which permits
maximum three years. They also want pay revision to engineers
recruited in 2005, AIGETOA said in a statement.
"AIGETOA has no option left other than to restore the
agitational activities again and called one-day symbolic
countrywide hunger fast on October 2, 2009.
Around 10,000 engineers and account officers will
participate countrywide in this call including around 200 at
Samta Sthal,... " the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why