Cabinet approves tougher provisions for Arms Act
New Delhi: Tightening up the process for grant of arms licence, Government on Thursday decided to make mandatory a police verification report on the applicant before
the document is issued to him.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, decided to amend relevant sections of the Arms Act of 1959 that empower the licensing authority to grant an arms license in absence of the police verification report.
"The Cabinet also approved the introduction of the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2010 in Parliament," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters here.
The proposed amendments will obviate chances of issuing arms licences to persons whose antecedents are not bonafide, and ensure receipt of police verification report within a period of 60 days, she said.
Once the amendments are approved by Parliament, the licensing authority will be obliged to take into consideration the report of the police authorities before grant of an arms licence in each case, Soni said.
The Arms (Amendment) Bill 2010 would be introduced in Parliament specifying a period of 60 days for the purpose of police report and deletion of the discretionary powers of the
In the current law, the quantum of prescribed time has not been specifically defined which could lead to licensing authority invoking discretionary powers to grant an arms
licence to a person whose antecedents may not be clear.
"Considering the importance of the police verification report in the grant of arms licences to any person, it has been decided to delete the proviso to Section 13(2A) of the
Arms Act 1959 and prescribe a period of 60 days for the police authorities to send their report," Soni said.
When the matter came up for discussion at the Cabinet meeting, Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah cited the prevalence of unlicensed arms in Jammu and Kashmir.
Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee pointed out how arms were being brought into the country by infiltrators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly