Cabinet berth a reward for Girija Vyas
New Delhi: Girija Vyas, the Congress MP from Chittorgarh and former head of the National Commission for Women, finally got her due on Monday when she was inducted as a Cabinet minister in the UPA-II government.
Vyas is known for her stint in head of NCW from 2005 to 2011 when she pursued several high profile cases of atrocities against women. As a member of the Public Accounts Committee, she was very active in defending the government during the proceedings in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Vyas has mainly been active in the Congress, having served as a former Pradesh Congress Committee Chief of Rajasthan from 2001-04 and head of the AICC Media Department.
Born on July 8, 1946, Vyas did her Ph.D in Philosophy and even taught the subject in Udaipur university and the University of Delaware, USA. She is a spinster.
A poet and author, Vyas became an MLA in 1985. She also served as a minister in the Rajasthan government.
Vyas was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time in 1991 from Udaipur and was a Deputy minister in the Narasimha Rao government.
Many Congressmen had expected that Vyas will be made a minister in the Manmohan Singh government in 2009.
A good orator, Vyas often leads the debate on behalf of the Congress on important issues in Parliament.
Vyas has authored several books of poems in Urdu, Hindi and English.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa