Cabinet clears TV digitisation proposal
New Delhi: The government Thursday decided to send President Pratibha Patil a proposal for an ordinance aimed at fast-tracking the digitisation of the cable and satellite TV broadcast industry.
"The government has agreed to send a proposal for an ordinance (for digitisation) to the president for consideration," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Sonia told reporters after a cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The ordinance seeks to amend the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act to meet the March 31, 2012 deadline for digitisation in the four metros by 2014.
The cable and satellite television industry is expected to be worth Rs 20,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step