Cabinet reshuffle likely next week
New Delhi: A reshuffle of the Union Council of Ministers appears high on the cards as Trinamool Congress is all set to pull out of UPA on Friday.
Congress sources speak of a "substantial" reshuffle by the Prime Minister, possibly next week.
Party sources said changes in the government and the party could be taking place in tandem as there is a possibility that some of the ministers would be drafted for party work.
Some ministers may be sent to the party for preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections.
The Railway Ministry, which is expected to fall vacant tomorrow following the resignation of Mukul Roy of TMC, along with five of his party colleagues, is likely to be retained by Congress.
While a section in Congress says the "big-four" at the Centre (Home, Finance, Defence and External Affairs) are unlikely to be disturbed, there are murmurs that some last- minute change in this, too, cannot be ruled out.
There are some ministers who hold more than one portfolio and they could be relieved of the additional charge, sources said.
Ministers like M Veerappa Moily and Vayalar Ravi hold dual charges like Corporate Affairs and Power and Overseas Affairs and Science and Technology respectively.
Moily got Power after the elevation of Sushilkumar Shinde to Home and Ravi got Science and Technology after the death of Vilasrao Deshmukh.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has been holding Telecommunication ever since A Raja of DMK was forced to quit in the wake of 2G spectrum allocation controversy in November, 2010. There are two vacancies after representatives of DMK - Raja and Dayanidhi Maran - resigned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch