Candle light vigil at Indo-Pak border to mark I-Day
Attari (Amritsar): A candle light vigil was
held at the Indo-Pak border at Attari to mark the country`s 62nd
Independence Day, a move that generated an equivocal response
from people across the boundary.
Members from Indian chapter of South Asian Free Media
Association (SAFMA) and NGO Hind-Pak Dosti Manch, including
guests from Pakistan, gathered at the Attari check post on the
international border on the intervening night of 14-15 for the
candle light vigil.
This is for the second consecutive time after the
Independence that people from Pakistan reciprocated the move
on their side of the border.
A cultural programme was held near the Wagah border by
Hind-Pak Dosti Manch and Folklore Research Academy for the
Indians and the Pakistani guests and Punjabi Sufi singers Hans
Raj Hans and Lakhwinder Wadali performed on the occasion.
The Hind-Pak Dosti Manch was founded by journalist and
columnist Kuldip Nayyar and Satnam Manak in 1996.
Speaking on the occasion, Nayyar said people-to-people
contact exercise between the two nations could be enhanced
with hassle free visa system.
Nayyar said the vigil is a symbolic gesture of unity, "as
it gives a wakeup call to both governments to end enmity and
get on to the business like two good neighbours".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India