Can’t suspend MPs, MLAs facing rape charges: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will on Friday sought Centre’s response for fast-tracking of trials in rape cases and implementation of existing laws for safety of women.
The apex court, however, said that it can`t pass direction for the suspension of MPs and MLAs chargesheeted for crime against women, as the authority to do so rests with the Parliament and the Legislative Assemblies.
The apex court passed its order after hearing a PIL for women`s safety filed by a former IAS officer Promila Shankar.
The PIL called for the Centre and the state governments to ensure safety for women across the country and setting up of more fast-track courts for speedy disposal of all rape cases.
The PIL also sought the suspension of MLAs or MPs chargesheeted with crimes against women.
The PIL comes in the light of reports that two sitting MPs and 42 MLAs are accused of crimes against women including rape.
In the aftermath of the shocking Delhi gang-rape incident, there has been huge public outcry against political parties giving tickets to tainted men, especially those who have rape charges against them.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged