Cash transfer scheme: No violation of poll code, says govt
New Delhi: Government Monday said it had not violated any election code of conduct in connection with its ambitious direct cash transfer scheme as it was announced in the budget speech by the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
"This (direct cash transfer) is only an implementation of an announcement that has already been made," Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here.
He said the government believed that it has neither directly or indirectly violated the election code because the policy announcement was made way back in the budget speech by the then Finance Minister.
Sibal said the government would file a detailed reply on the questions raised by the Election Commission on the issue.
The Commission`s notice was among the issues discussed by the Group of Ministers on media today.
The Commission had yesterday conveyed its unhappiness to the government over announcement of its direct cash transfer scheme when the Model Code was in force in poll-bound Gujarat.
In a strongly-worded letter to Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth, the poll authority had said the announcement could have been avoided in view of the Gujarat Assembly elections later this month.
Last week, Finance Minister P Chidamabaram and Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh had launched the Aadhar- based direct cash transfer scheme at the Congress headquarters here and dubbed it as a "game changer".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'