Cauvery water: `Center in touch with Karnataka, Tamil Nadu`
New Delhi: Union Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat on Sunday expressed hope that the Cauvery Waters dispute between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka will be resolved soon, and added that he is in touch with chief ministers of both states on the issue.
Terming it a very old, complex and sensitive matter, Rawat said he has gone through some media reports about the chief ministers meeting and has asked for the detailed report.
I have asked for the detailed report, and now the matter is before the Supreme Court also, so we will wait for the directives from the court. I think the matter will be resolved amicably. Both the states realize the problems of each other, said Rawat.
This is very old and complex problem, and very sensitive also, but we hope that providing all sorts of technical support to both the states, they will be able to resolve the matter amicably, he added.
Earlier on Thursday, amid the farmers outcry for water for their crops, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa met her Karnataka counterpart Jagadish Shettar in Bangalore to resolve the issue following the apex court saying that the two chief ministers should meet to resolve their war over sharing of Cauvery waters.
A bench of Justices DK Jain and Madan B Lokur said both the chief ministers should give top priority to create a congenial atmosphere and discuss the issue in larger interest of the farmers of both the states.
However, both states have failed to agree on how much water should be released by Karnataka, and the Supreme Court will now decide whether the former`s plea for the release of 30000 million cubic feet of water between December 1 to 15 is feasible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand