Ceasefire violation: Pakistan targets Indian battalion, other foward posts again
Poonch: Violating the ceasefire twice on Monday, Pakistani troops opened fire from automatic weapons and mortars on Hamirpur battalion and Mendhar along the LoC in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, drawing retaliation from the Indian army on both the occasions.
There was no report of casualties or damage to property in the two separate incidents.
The Pakistani troops targeted the battalion in Hamirpur at around 2105 hours, sparking an exchange of fire that continued late into the night, a Defence Ministry spokesman said.
Earlier this afternoon, the Pakistani Army fired at Indian forward posts with small arms along the LoC in Mendhar sub-sector in Poonch district.
"Pakistani troops fired from small arms and automatic weapons on Indian posts in Mendhar sub-sector at around 2:35 pm," a defence spokesman said.
Pakistani troops had earlier fired heavily on Indian posts in Hamirpur and Balakote border belts along the LoC in Poonch and also pounded civilian areas in Mankote and Mendhar belts.
"There was firing by the Pakistani Army in Hamirpur and Balakote belts last night," the defence spokesman said.
The Indian soldiers replied strongly, triggering exchanges which continued throughout last night, he said.
The Pakistani troops also targeted civilian areas with medium mortar shells and rockets sparking panic among the inhabitants.
Seventy-two ceasefire violations by Pakistan have taken place along the LoC since January one this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands