Central team to assess drought situation in Bihar
New Delhi: A high-level Central team will
tour Bihar Wednesday to assess the situation arising out of
monsoon failure, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said in Lok
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had sent a detailed
report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh two days ago and based
on that a Central team has been constituted to go to the
affected areas and assess the situation on ground, he said
during Question Hour.
To a supplementary, he said the Centre can send a team to
Jharkhand but a request has to come from the state.
"I have not received any suggestion from the Jharkhand
government. I have written to the Governor seeking information
and he has sent a report about 7-8 districts," Pawar said.
However, about Uttar Pradesh, he said no such information
Lalu Prasad (RJD) wanted to know what arrangements are
being made by the Union government for these drought-hit
Answering another supplementary on benefits of extension
services in agriculture, the minister informed the House that
the schemes, which started three years ago, has been amended
with a scope of some financial assistance to the respective
Yashwant Sinha (BJP) said the scheme was only on papers
and there was nothing on the ground. He demanded that
respective MPs should be involved in such programmes.
To this, Pawar said Jharkhand government has informed that
the scheme was being implemented in 24 districts. "I have to
respect the state government...there is no reason for me to
disbelieve the state," Pawar said.
He, however, said that there was a scope for collective
action by the Centre and the state government and the scheme
has been amended accordingly.
"Over 112 lakh farmers have been benefited under the
scheme during last three years including about 27 lakh women
farmers," the minister said, adding that this was not
sufficient and a lot more needed to be done for women farmers.
An information relating to agriculture related extension
activities is disseminated through 25 Kisan Call Centres set
up across the country which can be accessed by farmers during
designated hours on all days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!