Centre directs vigil as infiltration attempts rise
New Delhi: Concerned over repeated
infiltration attempts, the Centre has directed security forces
to intensify vigil along the border and take necessary steps
to foil any attempt by Pakistan-based elements to push
terrorists into India.
Home Ministry officials said at least 60 infiltration bids
have taken place along the border in Jammu and Kashmir till
August this year and apprehend that such attempts will
intensify in the coming days till the onset of winter.
Besides, intelligence reports also suggested that around
2,500 terrorists are active in training camps and launching
pads in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and some other areas in
Pakistan and all of them were primarily trained to infiltrate
"We are concerned over the repeated attempts of
"We have directed our forces to keep a strict vigil and
foil all attempts to cross the border," an official said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh too had said that there are
reports of cross border camps being reactivated and of
attempts to induct fresh batches of militants into the
According to the Home Ministry estimate, infiltration
attempts have shown a marginal increase during 2010 in
comparison to 2009.
While there were 489 infiltration attempts in 2010, there
were 485 such attempts in 2009.
As per available inputs of central intelligence and
security agencies, Pakistan has taken no steps to dismantle
the terrorist infrastructure in the territory under its
"This infrastructure continues to be sponsored by ISI to
recruit, train, finance, arm and infiltrate terrorists into
India," the official said.
Also, there has been an increase in incidents of ceasefire
violation along the Line of Control.
At least 23 incidents of ceasefire violation have been
reported along the LoC till August this year.
There were 77 ceasefire violation in 2008 which came down
to 28 in 2009 but further increased to 44 in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read