Centre reviews ongoing operations against Maoists
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday reviewed ongoing operations against Maoists with district SPs and commandants of paramilitary forces, engaged in anti-Naxal operations.
Chaired by Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami, the meeting took stock of the current strategy, its success, reverses suffered by the forces and how to improve coordination between Central and state security forces.
The meeting, scheduled to be held on July 26-27, was advanced by a day following a request by CRPF which thought that declaring the exact dates may lead to officers being targeted by Maoists during their journey to the national capital, sources said.
Maoists have attacked convoys of police and paramilitary forces and even political parties while passing through their strongholds.
Attended by Superintendents of Police of 27 worst Maoist- hit districts and CRPF battalion commandants, the meeting stressed on intelligence based operations and favoured taking such steps which would hurt the Naxals most.
The two-day meeting, convened in the wake of the July 3 killing of Amarjit Balihar, the SP of Jharkhand`s Pakur district by Maoists, was also attended by other top officials of Home Ministry and CRPF, Inspector Generals in-charge of operations in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra and Odisha.
A detailed discussion on the methodology taken by the Maoists to carry out their attacks as well as how to face the new challenges on the ground is expected to be held tomorrow.
The Home Ministry has chosen Mohd Suvez Haque, SP of Maharashtra`s Gadchiroli district, to brief the gathering on the innovative methods adopted by him to tackle Left wing extremism.
Haque has been chosen to give a presentation at the meeting on the methods adopted by him to take on the Maoists, the sources said.
Haque, 34, is an officer of the 2005 batch of Indian Police Service. He is a chemical engineer and is considered to be very efficient in dealing with Left wing violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!