Centre working on finalising uniform sentencing policy: Moily
Bhopal: Union Law Minister Veerappa Moily
has said that the Centre was working on finalising a uniform
"We are working on a uniform sentencing policy," Moily
told reporters here.
The proposed policy will ensure that judges do not hand
down different sentences on the same crime but follow the
standards laid down in it, he said.
"We are working on the uniform sentencing policy which is
on the lines of the ones in place in United States and the
United Kingdom," Moily told reporters here on Saturday.
"The draft for uniform sentencing is in its final stages
and the ministry will place it before the Cabinet soon," he
On whether the policy was being framed following Supreme
Court`s decision to reduce the death sentence of the accused
to life imprisonment in the Priyadarshni Mattoo rape and
murder case, he replied in the negative.
"Work on this policy had begun long back," he added.
Moily, however, refused to comment on the Apex Court`s
verdict in the Priyadarshni Mattoo case.
"How can I comment on the judgement of the Supreme
Court?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Eight killed after jeep falls in gorge in Uttarakhand
- 'No past govts ever achieved as much as Narendra Modi did in past two years'
- Eight injured in bus blast in Haryana, government forms SIT
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!