Chidambaram seeks release of man held for photographing him
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday expressed surprise over the arrest of a person who reportedly attempted to take some pictures of him near the Chennai airport on Tuesday and sought his immediate release.
In a statement issued here today, Chidambaram said he was surprised and disappointed to learn that a person who reportedly attempted to take some pictures of him was detained by police at the Chennai airport on Tuesday.
"I did not know about the incident until the media reported it yesterday evening. Immediately, I told PTI that I had no knowledge of the incident and nobody had told me about it then or subsequently," he said.
"I do not know why the police has detained the person concerned. I have asked my office to get in touch with the Tamil Nadu police and request them to release the person immediately," Chidambaram said in the statement.
A 34-year-old man has been taken into custody for questioning after he was seen taking pictures of Finance Minister P Chidambaram at the Chennai airport.
Airport sources said Amir was seen taking pictures of the minister using his camera. He had confirmed first-class tickets to Delhi and from there to Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi