Chidambaram seeks release of man held for photographing him
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday expressed surprise over the arrest of a person who reportedly attempted to take some pictures of him near the Chennai airport on Tuesday and sought his immediate release.
In a statement issued here today, Chidambaram said he was surprised and disappointed to learn that a person who reportedly attempted to take some pictures of him was detained by police at the Chennai airport on Tuesday.
"I did not know about the incident until the media reported it yesterday evening. Immediately, I told PTI that I had no knowledge of the incident and nobody had told me about it then or subsequently," he said.
"I do not know why the police has detained the person concerned. I have asked my office to get in touch with the Tamil Nadu police and request them to release the person immediately," Chidambaram said in the statement.
A 34-year-old man has been taken into custody for questioning after he was seen taking pictures of Finance Minister P Chidambaram at the Chennai airport.
Airport sources said Amir was seen taking pictures of the minister using his camera. He had confirmed first-class tickets to Delhi and from there to Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown