Chief of Army Staff visits Golden Temple
Amritsar: Chief of the Army Staff General Vijay Kumar Singh on Sunday paid obeisance at the Golden Temple, as he arrived here with his family for a "purely personal"
"I was here to pray before the Almighty for the well being of Indian Nation and Indian Army. It was a long pending wish of me and my family," Singh said.
Speaking about the visit, Information officer of Golden Temple Gurbachan Singh said, "The visit of the Singh was purely a personal visit."
Earlier, in 1984 General AS Vaidya, the then chief of Army Staff had visited the Temple, with Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, a few days after Operation Blue Star at Golden
Temple to take stock of the situation.
After the visit of General AS Vaidya, no chief of the Army Staff had visited Golden Temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note