Chief of Army Staff visits Golden Temple
Amritsar: Chief of the Army Staff General Vijay Kumar Singh on Sunday paid obeisance at the Golden Temple, as he arrived here with his family for a "purely personal"
"I was here to pray before the Almighty for the well being of Indian Nation and Indian Army. It was a long pending wish of me and my family," Singh said.
Speaking about the visit, Information officer of Golden Temple Gurbachan Singh said, "The visit of the Singh was purely a personal visit."
Earlier, in 1984 General AS Vaidya, the then chief of Army Staff had visited the Temple, with Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, a few days after Operation Blue Star at Golden
Temple to take stock of the situation.
After the visit of General AS Vaidya, no chief of the Army Staff had visited Golden Temple.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know