Civil society to be engaged in legislation: Govt
New Delhi: Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid said on Sunday that the government will continue to engage civil society groups while legislating.
"Several new bills like land acquisition and rehabilitation, food security and others are being prepared by the government," Khurshid told reporters here. "Common people have a right to express their views."
He said that civil society groups were an important part of the country`s political system and congratulated activist Anna Hazare, 74, who broke his hunger strike at the Ramlila Maidan on Sunday, a day after Parliament agreed in principle to his three key demands for a more inclusive Lokpal Bill.
"I congratulate Annaji for holding a successful and peaceful movement," he told reporters. "Civil society should play an important role in the country`s political system. This movement was an example." he said.
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead