Cleric arrested for communal clash in Bareilly
Lucknow: Security was Tuesday intensified in Uttar Pradesh`s Bareilly district following the arrest of a leading cleric for his alleged role in last week`s communal clash.
Maulana Tauquir Raza Khan, president of the Ittehad-e-Millat Council, was arrested late Monday from Bareilly, about 250 km from here. It was his "rabble rousing speech" that had led to communal tension in the district last week, officials said.
"Fearing a backlash from his supporters, a heavy security cover has come up in parts of the district," Superintendent of Police (city) Rakesh Jolly told reporters.
Curfew continues in Kotwali, Kila, Premnagar and Baradari areas, but it is being relaxed for up to 12 hours in some places, officials said.
Trouble began March 2 when the Barawafat procession was passing through. A minor communal clash followed by sporadic arson led to curfew.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark