‘Co-accused shields Sajjan in ‘84 anti-Sikh riots’
New Delhi: A former city councillor, an
accused in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case regarding killing of
six persons in Delhi Cantt area on Wednesday told a city court that
ex-Congress MP and co-accused Sajjan Kumar did not instigate
any mob to kill Sikhs.
"It is incorrect to say that Sajjan Kumar had come in a
police vehicle in the area and was addressing the mob," former
councillor Balwan Khokkar, facing trial with Kumar and four
others, deposed in the court of Additional Sessions Judge
Sunita Gupta, who adjourned the hearing till tomorrow after
partially recording his statement.
He also refused a suggestion that Kumar was provoking
the mob to kill all the sikhs.
"It is wrong and incorrect to say that Sajjan Kumar was
provoking the mob, saying that no sardar (Sikh) should be left
alive and that all their remaining houses should be burnt
down," Khokkar said.
He denied that Kumar ever provoked the mob to "`kill all
Sikhs as they have killed my (Sajjan) mother (Indira
Three eye witnesses - Nirpreet Kaur, Joginder Singh
and Jagdish Kaur - in the case had deposed against Khokkar in
He further said during the riots, he had given shelter
to six Sikh families, provided them food and had also went to
Air Force gurudwara to see them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!