Coal block allocations: CAG to brief PAC today
New Delhi: Sparks are likely to fly in the meetings of Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee as it takes up the controversial CAG report on coal block allocations from Friday when the government auditor will brief the panel on the issue.
Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai and his team of officials will brief the PAC on the auditor`s findings on coal block allocation today. The issue had virtually washed out the entire Monsoon session of Parliament following disruptions by BJP-led opposition.
After CAG`s presentation in the morning, officials of the Coal Ministry will face the PAC on the issue of allocations in the afternoon session of the Committee.
In its August 23 meeting, PAC had decided to examine the four latest reports of the CAG, including the one on coal block allocation.
The other CAG reports are on Delhi International Airport Ltd, Ultra Mega Power Plants and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).
In its report on coal blocks, CAG has said that private firms are likely to gain Rs 1.86 lakh crore from coal blocks that were allocated to them on nomination basis instead of competitive bidding, which amounted to loss to national exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre