Coal scam: ED files laundering case against Rao, Jindal
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has slapped money laundering charges against former Minister of State in the Coal Ministry Dasari Narayana Rao and Congress MP Naveen Jindal in connection with its probe in the Coal blocks allocation case.
The agency, which has registered an FIR under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), taking cognisance of the CBI complaints in these allocations, has also named members and officials of the 35th screening committee (government constituted multi-member body).
Others include Ms Gagan Sponge Iron Pvt Ltd, Ms Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL), Ms Jindal Realty Pvt Ltd, Ms New Delhi Exim Pvt Ltd, Ms Sowbhagya Media Ltd besides unknown persons in its complaint in this case.
The agency, according to sources, has framed the charges after it found multi-layered transactions between the firms owned by Jindal to Rao`s firms based in Hyderabad and "illegal money" was routed for alleged favours given for the allocation of coal firms to Jindal in Jharkhand in 2008 by Rao.
The same charges have been made by the CBI in their criminal complaint under the Prevention of Corruption Act against these individuals and firms.
The anti-laundering agency has now begun ascertaining banking and other transactions made by the accused firms and individuals even as it is evaluating movable and immovable assets of those named in the FIR.
The ED, till now, has registered similar cases under the PMLA against all those who have been booked by the CBI in the Coal blocks allocation case.
During the course of the same investigation, the ED will also look into the issue of any foreign exchange "contravention" by all these firms which have now been asked by the agency to furnish relevant documents, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened