Coal scam: ED files laundering case against Rao, Jindal
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has slapped money laundering charges against former Minister of State in the Coal Ministry Dasari Narayana Rao and Congress MP Naveen Jindal in connection with its probe in the Coal blocks allocation case.
The agency, which has registered an FIR under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), taking cognisance of the CBI complaints in these allocations, has also named members and officials of the 35th screening committee (government constituted multi-member body).
Others include Ms Gagan Sponge Iron Pvt Ltd, Ms Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL), Ms Jindal Realty Pvt Ltd, Ms New Delhi Exim Pvt Ltd, Ms Sowbhagya Media Ltd besides unknown persons in its complaint in this case.
The agency, according to sources, has framed the charges after it found multi-layered transactions between the firms owned by Jindal to Rao`s firms based in Hyderabad and "illegal money" was routed for alleged favours given for the allocation of coal firms to Jindal in Jharkhand in 2008 by Rao.
The same charges have been made by the CBI in their criminal complaint under the Prevention of Corruption Act against these individuals and firms.
The anti-laundering agency has now begun ascertaining banking and other transactions made by the accused firms and individuals even as it is evaluating movable and immovable assets of those named in the FIR.
The ED, till now, has registered similar cases under the PMLA against all those who have been booked by the CBI in the Coal blocks allocation case.
During the course of the same investigation, the ED will also look into the issue of any foreign exchange "contravention" by all these firms which have now been asked by the agency to furnish relevant documents, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi