Coalgate: `Does CBI interact or interrogate?` asks SC
New Delhi: Does CBI interacts or interrogates?
That was the question put to CBI by the Supreme Court on Wednesday during the hearing in the coalgate scam.
What brought to fore this point was the CBI Director, Ranjit Sinha`s submission in his May 6 affidavit that the agency officials interact regularly with the government officials.
"Does CBI interact or interrogate? Is it some collaborative effort? There is no question of interaction. The question is that you seek some information and the ministry and the department is bound to supply documents. There is no question of interaction but interrogation," the bench headed by Justice R M Lodha said.
"CBI, which is a police force created by Central government, no doubt is under superintendence and administrative control of government but investigation as a component has to be left independent. It does not require special statute or jurisprudence," the bench also comprising justices Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph said.
"The question is investigation..The job is to reach the truth but something else is happening. This is actually something which is very serious," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents
- Why locals in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are protesting against Nawaz Sharif's PML(N), ISI – Watch video
- Akshay Kumar to start Divya Khosla's next in September
- Woman killed for dowry in Etah; husband, five others booked
- Three charred to death as bus catches fire in Karnataka