Cochin airport 1st in India to use solar power for its grid
New Delhi: Cochin International Airport is set to become the first airport in the country to use solar power for running its utility grid system.
A Kolkata-based solar module manufacturing company, Vikram Solar, would be installing a 100 kWp solar power facility at the airport situated at Nedumbassery in Cochin.
Giving details of the system, a senior company official said Vikram Solar would design, install and commission the solar photo-voltaic (PV) power system consisting of mounted solar panels.
"The panels would generate DC electric power, which unlike the general practise, would not be fed directly into the utility grid," Gyanesh Chaudhary, Director of the company said.
"Instead, inverters would convert the direct current output from the solar array into a grid-compliant AC voltage which will feed it into the utility grid system to be used for lighting in the terminal building," Chaudhary said.
Power thus generated would be connected with low transmission voltage for local and grid usage.
The proposed energy production would be at an estimated 148 MWh per year with a capacity of 100 kilowatts-peak (kWp). The energy capacity of each PV module would reach up to 240-250 Wp.
Terming the initiative of Cochin Airport Authority as an "excellent opportunity and a path-breaking vision" to encourage use of green energy for critical service utilities at the airport, Shaibal Ghosh, company`s president said, "It would open the doors for all other airports and utility services for use of sustainable `Clean and Green Power` and help support to re-energise the environment."
The company is also installing a 30 KW solar power facility at the famous Jagannath temple in Puri in Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back