Cold wave unabated in north India, death toll reaches 92 in UP
New Delhi: People across India face the wrath of dipping mercury, as the cold wave further intensified in several parts of the country. The death toll has reached to 92 due to cold in north India.
Foggy weather disrupted rail, road and air traffic at several places. The fog also affected the schedule of about 50 flights at Delhi airport on Sunday.
In Uttar Pradesh, cold wave has claimed three more lives during the past 24 hours. The toll in the state during this season has gone up to 92.
An unabated cold wave swept through Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh on Sunday, leaving residents distressed and forcing them to stay within the confines of their houses.
The minimum temperature recorded in the night was zero degrees Celsius in Kullu district of the state. A common sight was of people sitting around bonfires, wearing woollens to warm themselves.
Mahender Singh, a resident, said that the dipping mercury results in freezing of water particularly in mornings and evenings.
"It is extremely cold and the skies are clear at night, Due to snowfall, there is extreme cold here. It is difficult to step out of our houses and places at high altitudes are even worse, as water taps have also frozen," he said.
The cold wave turned to be a boon for roadside tea vendors, as people were seen sipping hot ginger tea to fight the chill.
Although not cold by the standards of Europe and North America, the drop in temperature can have a devastating effect on the hundreds of thousands of homeless people in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living