Cold wave unabated in north India, death toll reaches 92 in UP
New Delhi: People across India face the wrath of dipping mercury, as the cold wave further intensified in several parts of the country. The death toll has reached to 92 due to cold in north India.
Foggy weather disrupted rail, road and air traffic at several places. The fog also affected the schedule of about 50 flights at Delhi airport on Sunday.
In Uttar Pradesh, cold wave has claimed three more lives during the past 24 hours. The toll in the state during this season has gone up to 92.
An unabated cold wave swept through Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh on Sunday, leaving residents distressed and forcing them to stay within the confines of their houses.
The minimum temperature recorded in the night was zero degrees Celsius in Kullu district of the state. A common sight was of people sitting around bonfires, wearing woollens to warm themselves.
Mahender Singh, a resident, said that the dipping mercury results in freezing of water particularly in mornings and evenings.
"It is extremely cold and the skies are clear at night, Due to snowfall, there is extreme cold here. It is difficult to step out of our houses and places at high altitudes are even worse, as water taps have also frozen," he said.
The cold wave turned to be a boon for roadside tea vendors, as people were seen sipping hot ginger tea to fight the chill.
Although not cold by the standards of Europe and North America, the drop in temperature can have a devastating effect on the hundreds of thousands of homeless people in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video