Cong rejects Trinamool`s demand for UPA govt`s resignation
New Delhi: Congress on Friday rejected Trinamool Congress` demand for immediate resignation of UPA government following DMK`s withdrawal of support saying the government will complete its full term.
"There is nothing new in what TMC is saying. It wanted the government to go when it had withdrawn support from UPA even six months back. But the government did not fall even as they withdrew support. Government will complete its full term," AICC in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed told PTI.
TMC all-India general secretary Mukul Roy said in Kolkata ealier in the day that Manmohan Singh-government has become a "minority" after DMK`s withdrawal of support.
"They can remain in power by utilising the number game in Parliament. But it first became a minority government when Trinamool Congress withdrew support last year and now by DMK. This government has no moral right to continue in office for a single moment... We want this government to resign immediately," he said.
TMC, which was the second largest constituent of UPA after Congress and has 19 Lok Sabha members, had withdrawn support from UPA government in September last year.
BJP MP Balbir Punj alleged the government has lost the mandate to rule.
"Government will not complete is full term and snap poll is inevitable. Irrespective of what the Prime Minister says, the fact is that there is an atmosphere of instability about the government in the country. This is why you have various people speaking about early elections.
"This government has lost the mandate from the people to rule and now its numbers in the House, that is Lok Sabha, is also suspect. The country is passing through a phase of complete instability," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum