Cong should propose a consensus candidate for Prez post: Rajnath
Lucknow: Former BJP President Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said a debate should not be held who would occupy top constitutional posts and it would be better if Congress proposes the name for a Presidential candidate on which there is consensus.
"It will be better if Congress propses such a name on which there is a common consensus," Singh told reporters here to a question regarding the tussle between the Centre and the opposition parties over the Presidential nominee.
He said dignity of the constitutional institutions should be maintained at all costs.
"To worry about the dignity of the constitutional institutions is the responsibility of the entire nation...If there is lack of trust, then democracy will face threat," he said.
On whether BJP was ready for a contest for the Presidential poll, Singh said "my wish is that there is no contest and it is done with the consesus but the major role is to be played by the ruling party".
On former President APJ Abdul Kalam`s name, he said there are a number of names.
On Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the BJP leader said he was able and his performance was good.
"There is no doubt about his ability, capability and integrity," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site