Cong should propose a consensus candidate for Prez post: Rajnath
Lucknow: Former BJP President Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said a debate should not be held who would occupy top constitutional posts and it would be better if Congress proposes the name for a Presidential candidate on which there is consensus.
"It will be better if Congress propses such a name on which there is a common consensus," Singh told reporters here to a question regarding the tussle between the Centre and the opposition parties over the Presidential nominee.
He said dignity of the constitutional institutions should be maintained at all costs.
"To worry about the dignity of the constitutional institutions is the responsibility of the entire nation...If there is lack of trust, then democracy will face threat," he said.
On whether BJP was ready for a contest for the Presidential poll, Singh said "my wish is that there is no contest and it is done with the consesus but the major role is to be played by the ruling party".
On former President APJ Abdul Kalam`s name, he said there are a number of names.
On Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the BJP leader said he was able and his performance was good.
"There is no doubt about his ability, capability and integrity," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured