Congress dismissive of Yashwant Sinha`s bid to project Modi as BJP`s PM candidate
New Delhi: Congress was on Monday dismissive of Yashwant Sinha`s remarks pitching for Narendra Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate in next Lok Sabha elections, saying the eventuality does not arise as the Opposition party stands "not even a distant chance" to come to power.
Though terming it as "internal matter" of the BJP as to whom they make their PM candidate, party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said," Anyone from their party can become Prime Minister only when BJP gets that much strength in Parliament. And there is not even a distant possibility of that happening."
Sinha earlier said after careful thought he has concluded "that if BJP declares Modi as its PM candidate, then BJP will benefit hugely in the elections. It will have a big impact on voters. I have no doubt on this".
Sinha became the first senior BJP leader to openly pitch for declaring Modi as PM candidate although the party and the leaders have been evasive on the issue.
Modi, who held "elaborate" discussions with new BJP chief Rajnath Singh here yesterday on the 2014 elections, himself has been parrying the question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy