Congress dismissive of Yashwant Sinha`s bid to project Modi as BJP`s PM candidate
New Delhi: Congress was on Monday dismissive of Yashwant Sinha`s remarks pitching for Narendra Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate in next Lok Sabha elections, saying the eventuality does not arise as the Opposition party stands "not even a distant chance" to come to power.
Though terming it as "internal matter" of the BJP as to whom they make their PM candidate, party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said," Anyone from their party can become Prime Minister only when BJP gets that much strength in Parliament. And there is not even a distant possibility of that happening."
Sinha earlier said after careful thought he has concluded "that if BJP declares Modi as its PM candidate, then BJP will benefit hugely in the elections. It will have a big impact on voters. I have no doubt on this".
Sinha became the first senior BJP leader to openly pitch for declaring Modi as PM candidate although the party and the leaders have been evasive on the issue.
Modi, who held "elaborate" discussions with new BJP chief Rajnath Singh here yesterday on the 2014 elections, himself has been parrying the question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state