Congress mismanaged panchayati raj institution: BJ
Guwahati: Accusing Congress of mismanagement and siphoning of funds meant for rural development schemes, opposition Bharatiya Janata Party Thursday said the electorate of Assam would reject the ruling party in the upcoming panchayat polls in the state.
"The electorate in rural areas has understood the facts regarding the magnitude of mismanagement indulged in by the Tarun Gogoi led government. We firmly believe that in the upcoming panchayat polls, our the voters will reject the Congress and vote for the BJP," state BJP president Sarbananda Sonowal said here.
Speaking during a function to release the party`s manifesto for the panchayat polls, Sonowal also accused the Congress government of subverting the panchayati raj institution by not decentralising power to local bodies.
"Congress deliberately did not take steps to decentralise power to the villages so that their leaders in Dispur could have a free hand in indulging in corruption," he said.
He also accused the Congress government of encouraging settlement of "illegal Bangladeshi immigrants" in villages and reserved forests of the state.
"There is total mismanagement in all sector. The public distribution system is in chaos with salt being sold at Rs 10 per kg in the black market instead of the stipulated Rs 3 per kg in fair price shops and similar is the case with all our products," the former Lok Sabha MP said.
In it manifesto, the BJP said if it wins the panchayat polls it would take steps to increase productivity of farm land, give land to landless farm labourers, provide subsidised fertiliser, promote animal husbandry, focus on rural education, health, water supply and employment generation, among other steps.
The panchayat polls in Assam will be held in three phases on January 30, February 6 and February 12 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you