Congress names candidates for Mizoram, UP Assembly by-polls
New Delhi: Congress on Friday declared names of its candidates for by-polls in Mizoram`s Chalfilh and Uttar Pradesh`s Bhatpar constituencies for which the elections will be held on February 23.
Dr H Ngurdingliana would be the party`s candidate for the election to Chalfilh assembly seat while Raghvendra Singh has been approved for Bhatpar by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, a party release said here.
Ngurdingliana, son of veteran Congress leader and former state assembly Speaker Dr H Thansanga, had contested unsuccessfully from the same constituency in 2008.
Bhatpar seat fell vacant following the death of Uttar Pradesh Sports and Youth Welfare Minister Kameshwar Upadhayay.
Chalfilh seat was lying vacant since the death of Parliamentary Secretary Chawngtinthanga of ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The notification for the by-polls was issued on January 30 and the process of filing of nominations is on till February 06.
After scrutiny of nominations on February 07, the last date for withdrawal of candidature is February 09. Counting of votes will take place on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'