Congress names candidates for Mizoram, UP Assembly by-polls
New Delhi: Congress on Friday declared names of its candidates for by-polls in Mizoram`s Chalfilh and Uttar Pradesh`s Bhatpar constituencies for which the elections will be held on February 23.
Dr H Ngurdingliana would be the party`s candidate for the election to Chalfilh assembly seat while Raghvendra Singh has been approved for Bhatpar by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, a party release said here.
Ngurdingliana, son of veteran Congress leader and former state assembly Speaker Dr H Thansanga, had contested unsuccessfully from the same constituency in 2008.
Bhatpar seat fell vacant following the death of Uttar Pradesh Sports and Youth Welfare Minister Kameshwar Upadhayay.
Chalfilh seat was lying vacant since the death of Parliamentary Secretary Chawngtinthanga of ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The notification for the by-polls was issued on January 30 and the process of filing of nominations is on till February 06.
After scrutiny of nominations on February 07, the last date for withdrawal of candidature is February 09. Counting of votes will take place on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video