Congress suffered defeat in Assembly polls as it betrayed people: Anna Haazre
Zee Media Bureau
Ralegan Siddhi: Reiterating his demand, anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on Monday said that the Government must bring the Jan Lokpal Bill in the ongoing Winter Session of Parliament.
Addressing reporters here, Anna Hazare said that he will go on an indefinite fast from tomorrow for the Jan Lokpal Bill and threatened not to break his fat till the ombudsman bill becomes a reality.
"Congress betrayed the people who responded appropriately," he told reporters here.
Hazare said when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh can pledge to get the communal violence bill passed in Parliament, why can`t he do the same for the much-delayed anti-graft law.
Recalling his earlier hunger fast in Delhi, Hazare said, "Sonia Gandhi wrote a letter saying that Government is ready to bring Janlokpal Bill and said please end your fast. I trusted her and I ended my fast."
Hazare said that the government has repeatedly said that it will bring Jan Lokpal Bill but never done so and accused the government of betraying the people.
“Two years have passed, since I agitated for the ombudsman bill, but the government has done nothing to get the bill passed in Parliament,” the social activist said.
Hazare’s announcement comes after the social activist had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, expressing displeasure over the Central government`s failure to bring in the anti-graft legislation.
In his reply to Hazare`s letter, Parliamentary Affairs Minister V Narayanasamy had mentioned various steps taken by the government to bring in the Lokpal Bill.
The Centre had passed the Lokpal Bill in Lok Sabha, bowing to the public pressure in the wake of Jan Lokpal agitation in 2011. Rajya Sabha is yet to pass the bill.
Hazare had said the bill, passed by Lok Sabha, was at variance with the draft Jan Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?