Congress to support Kanimozhi in upcoming Tamil Nadu RS polls
Chennai: Congress on Tuesday decided to support estranged ally DMK for the June 27 Rajya Sabha polls from Tamil Nadu, with its five MLAs all set to vote for DMK nominee Kanimozhi.
TNCC president B S Gnanadesikan said AICC General Secretary and party`s in-charge for Tamil Nadu Mukul Wasnik had informed him of the decision over phone.
"Indian National Congress has decided to support Kanimozhi and accordingly, all five Congress MLAs will vote for her," he said in a statement.
The term of six Rajya Sabha MPs from Tamil Nadu ends next month.
The eight-year allies had parted ways in March this year over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, and Tuesday`s development, being speculated for the past few days, is seen as part of a political realignment ahead of next year`s scheduled Lok Sabha polls.
Earlier, two local parties, MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam, both former allies of ruling AIADMK, had extended support to Kanimozhi. They have two MLAs each.
DMK has 23 MLAs in the 234-member Tamil Nadu assembly and seven candidates, including CPI`s D Raja, are in the fray for the biennial elections. AIADMK has fielded four candidates and DMDK one.
AIADMK with 150 member’s strength is sure to win four seats. Each winning candidate has to muster 34 first preference votes for victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!