Congress to support Kanimozhi in upcoming Tamil Nadu RS polls
Chennai: Congress on Tuesday decided to support estranged ally DMK for the June 27 Rajya Sabha polls from Tamil Nadu, with its five MLAs all set to vote for DMK nominee Kanimozhi.
TNCC president B S Gnanadesikan said AICC General Secretary and party`s in-charge for Tamil Nadu Mukul Wasnik had informed him of the decision over phone.
"Indian National Congress has decided to support Kanimozhi and accordingly, all five Congress MLAs will vote for her," he said in a statement.
The term of six Rajya Sabha MPs from Tamil Nadu ends next month.
The eight-year allies had parted ways in March this year over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, and Tuesday`s development, being speculated for the past few days, is seen as part of a political realignment ahead of next year`s scheduled Lok Sabha polls.
Earlier, two local parties, MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam, both former allies of ruling AIADMK, had extended support to Kanimozhi. They have two MLAs each.
DMK has 23 MLAs in the 234-member Tamil Nadu assembly and seven candidates, including CPI`s D Raja, are in the fray for the biennial elections. AIADMK has fielded four candidates and DMDK one.
AIADMK with 150 member’s strength is sure to win four seats. Each winning candidate has to muster 34 first preference votes for victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra