Congress trying to communalize 2014 elections: Arun Jaitley
New Delhi: Charging Congress with trying to communalise the 2014 elections, BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Monday said the ruling party "is doing so to deflect the agenda as it is faced with both the crisis of governance and lack of leadership".
The Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha also hit out at Congress spokesperson Shakeel Ahmed for seeking to "rewrite" history by his "desperate attempt to communalise the issue of national security" on his remarks on the birth of banned terrorist outfit Indian Mujahideen and linking it to the 2002 Gujarat riots.
"Faced with both the crisis of governance and a lack of leadership, UPA`s desperate strategy appears to be to deflect the agenda. Under no circumstances must the destruction of `The India`s story` by UPA be allowed to occupy the centre stage of the electoral agenda.
"UPA has, therefore, only one option left. Communalize the polity in the country and change the electoral agenda. All those who want to throw UPA out of office must understand that their focus must remain on the issues of governance which UPA will try to duck," Jaitley said in an article.
On Ahmed`s remarks on IM, the BJP leader said "the Congress Party`s spokesman has sought to re-write history. His effort is to somehow paint Indian Mujahideen as an organization of the aggrieved who are victims of riots in Gujarat. He ignores the international context and Pakistan`s strategy behind the creation of Indian Mujahideen. This is yet another desperate attempt to communalise an issue of national security."
Jaitley said Congress` conventional strategy has been that whenever they "fail" at governance it goes back to the last resort - the alleged charisma of Congress Party`s first family, which "appears inadequate".
"The outgoing leadership of UPA is perceived to be ineffective; the incoming are perceived to be non-leaders," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'