Congress will have to content without LoP post: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Friday said Congress may have to be content without the Leader of the Opposition`s post in the Lok Sabha as it will be difficult for Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to give it to Congress after she sought an opinion from the Attorney General on the issue.
The party said the Attorney General is the highest constitutional advisor to the government and he has given a considered opinion on the precedence and legality on the issue.
"The Speaker has been extremely judicious in seeking the advice of the Attorney General on the Leader of Opposition issue. The Attorney General is the highest Constitutional Advisor to the government.
"Since he has given a considered opinion on precedence and legality, hence it may be difficult for the Speaker to instal a Leader of Opposition of Congress. Congress may have to reconcile with this position," BJP Parliamentary Party spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi has said Congress is not eligible as it does not have the required 10 per cent (55 seats) in the 543-member Lok Sabha, sources said. Congress has only 44 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi