‘Congress win or Prez Rule, no other option in UP’
Kanpur/New Delhi: Even before the Congress could steer away from the storm created by the statements by its leaders on the issue of Muslim quota, another senior party leader has created a fresh controversy.
Union Coal Minister and Member of Parliament from Kanpur, Sriprakash Jaiswal said on Thursday that if the Congress fails to secure a majority then the only other option appears to be the imposition of President’s Rule in the state.
“"Those who lack confidence are looking for alliance
....Congress will not forge any alliance,” Jaiswal told reporters.
"If Congress gets majority then it will form the
government...if some seats are short then there is no option
other than President`s rule," he said.
Jaiswal said that results of UP polls would be "shocking"
and Congress would get majority.
The fifth phase of voting for the Assembly elections in the state is currently underway; counting of votes is scheduled to be held on March 6.
The opposition has latched on to his comments. Both the Samajwadi Party and the Bhartiya Janata Party have decided to take the matter to the Election Commission, while the Bahujan Samaj Party termed the Jaiswal’s comment as sign of Congress’ desperation.
“Congress is restless that is why they are making statements like this. On the threat that they would impose President`s rule,
I appeal to the electorate not to poll in favour of Congress
as the party is not understanding the importance of their
votes,” BJP leader Uma Bharti said.
Her party colleague Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that the ‘people of the state are not voting to elect a Governor’.
Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav said that Congress will not win given their poor track record on corruption and price rise. “People are looking at Samajwadi Party, I am confident that our party will come to power,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered