‘Congress win or Prez Rule, no other option in UP’
Kanpur/New Delhi: Even before the Congress could steer away from the storm created by the statements by its leaders on the issue of Muslim quota, another senior party leader has created a fresh controversy.
Union Coal Minister and Member of Parliament from Kanpur, Sriprakash Jaiswal said on Thursday that if the Congress fails to secure a majority then the only other option appears to be the imposition of President’s Rule in the state.
“"Those who lack confidence are looking for alliance
....Congress will not forge any alliance,” Jaiswal told reporters.
"If Congress gets majority then it will form the
government...if some seats are short then there is no option
other than President`s rule," he said.
Jaiswal said that results of UP polls would be "shocking"
and Congress would get majority.
The fifth phase of voting for the Assembly elections in the state is currently underway; counting of votes is scheduled to be held on March 6.
The opposition has latched on to his comments. Both the Samajwadi Party and the Bhartiya Janata Party have decided to take the matter to the Election Commission, while the Bahujan Samaj Party termed the Jaiswal’s comment as sign of Congress’ desperation.
“Congress is restless that is why they are making statements like this. On the threat that they would impose President`s rule,
I appeal to the electorate not to poll in favour of Congress
as the party is not understanding the importance of their
votes,” BJP leader Uma Bharti said.
Her party colleague Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that the ‘people of the state are not voting to elect a Governor’.
Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav said that Congress will not win given their poor track record on corruption and price rise. “People are looking at Samajwadi Party, I am confident that our party will come to power,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days