Consensus emerges on Gadkari`s second term as BJP president
New Delhi: With RSS backing him, a consensus seems to have emerged on giving a second term to Nitin Gadkari as BJP president for which elections will be held on January 23.
Senior leader LK Advani, who had reservations in Gadkari getting another term, has finally agreed to it as no consensus could be arrived at on any other candidate, party sources said on Sunday.
Till last week, there was an exercise between Advani`s camp and Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) to arrive at a consensus candidate.
Advani`s reservation about Gadkari getting a second term was due to charges of dubious funding of Purti Group with which he was associated. Advani had earlier suggested the name of Ravi Shankar Prasad for the top post.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj`s name had also figured in the discussion, but she herself has not shown much keenness on occupying the post.
While Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s name was also doing the rounds, party leaders ruled out the possibility saying he does not figure in Advani`s list of probables.
Modi himself is not interested in becoming party president though he could play a key role in the election management for BJP at the central level for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, they said.
RSS has been pitching for a second term for Gadkari with Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat himself backing him. It feels Gadkari, who took over soon after the BJP`s second consecutive Lok Sabha poll defeat, should lead the party in the next elections.
The task he had undertaken three years back is still yet to be completed, it felt.
The BJP today issued a notification for its Presidential election. Nomination papers for the top post will be filed on January 23 from 10 AM to 11.30 AM and scrutiny will be held from 11.30 AM to 12 noon.
A date for election will be declared if required after the withdrawal of nomination between 12 to 12.30 pm, a BJP statement said.
In the absence of any contest, the elected candidate will be declared at 12.30 pm on January 23.
The party parried questions over the reported internal squabbling for giving a second term to Gadkari.
Asked whether Advani has proposed the name of Swaraj for the president`s post, BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said, "We don`t have a dynasty but a democracy and there should not be any confusion over it. We have an internal democracy and constitution in the party.
According to that we conduct elections from regional to national level and that election process is on."
About other names also being floated for the contest, he said, "You will be told about it and the nominations also.
Nothing will be done in a clandestine manner."
Gadkari side-stepped questions on BJP presidential aspirants. "I have never ever bothered whether I get the post of party president or not. I will always continue working as a grassroot worker of the BJP," said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM