`Coordinated efforts will improve maternal health care`
New Delhi: Coordinated efforts by various ministries will strengthen the government systems and will help in enhancing maternal health care, Planning Commission member Syeda Hameed said Tuesday.
"Planning Commission is considering having a meeting with multiple ministries like health and women and child development on urgent cross-cutting issues like health and nutrition," Hameed said.
She suggested that recommendations on crucial health issues like maternal health care can be shared with the National Rural Health Mission steering group meeting that would be held soon in August.
"Apart from ministries, the civil society groups play a crucial role in strengthening government systems," Hameed said.
She was speaking at a national consultation organised by various health activists to discuss deaths among pregnant women in India.
Informing that government policies had led to a reduction in maternal mortality, Health and Family Welfare Secretary Keshav Desiraju said: "Focusing on institutional delivery numbers had led to neglecting what happened to women and child after birth. We are now giving importance on strengthening a team in communities to support safer home births."
Health activists informed that women continue to die during pregnancy and labour because health facilities in many parts of the country are not equipped to provide emergency care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister