Couple arrested in Kolkata for cheating banks
New Delhi: A couple have been arrested from Kolkata for allegedly duping various banks, private financiers and individuals by obtaining loans worth Rs 85 lakhs against a single property.
Kamal Kishore Shukla (60) and his wife Shashi Shukla (53) were arrested by a team of Economic Offences Wing (EOW) from Kolkata on Wednesday, police said.
The couple have allegedly duped about seven banks and institutions by obtaining loans against a property in Vaishali, Ghaziabad, they said.
They also sold the same property to at least two private parties by creating fraudulent title deeds, police said.
Five cases were registered against them in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh during 2006-2009.
After verification of the property documents submitted with supporting documents in different banks revealed that all the property papers and other documents like balance sheets, ITRs, PAN Card etc were fabricated to avail loans from respective banks, the police said.
After criminal cases were registered, the couple went missing from their addresses in Delhi. First, they took shelter in Indore, Madhya Pradesh and thereafter moved to Kolkata.
Police told that even in Kolkata, the couple kept on changing their addresses and phone numbers to avoid arrest.
However, a special EOW team was following them through mobile numbers, bank records, loan applications in various banks on similar names, PAN numbers.
Finally they were nabbed from Kolkata on Wednesday from their rented accommodation when Sashi Shukla made a fresh application of loan at a bank in Kolkata, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth