Couple defies Khap panchayat, gets married in UP
Greater Noida (UP): Defying a death
threat from a Khap Panchayat or self-styled caste council, a
couple on Saturday got married under police protection here.
The panchayat had barred Jaivinder, a resident of
Chithera village, from marrying Manisha of Bisnoli village
claiming their marriage will be against local societal norms.
Although the boy and the girl belong to different
gotras or subcastes, the panchayat ruled that as residents of
Chithera consider girls belonging to Bhatti gotra as their
sisters, Jaivinder could not marry Manisha who belongs to
Bhatti subcaste. Javinder belongs to Bainsla gotra.
The panchayat had threatened to kill them if they went
ahead with the marriage.
Jaivinder`s wedding procession left Chithera under
police protection for Manisha`s house where the marriage was
solemnised, police sources said.
On two occasions in the recent past, the panchayat
had forcibly cancelled the marriage of local boys with Bhatti
girls. But Jaivinder`s family refused to follow the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened