Court issues production warrant against Kobad Ghandy
New Delhi: A local court on Friday issued a
production warrant against top Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy
who is in custody of Andhra Pradesh Police in connection with
a case registered against him in Karimnagar district in 2008.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja sought
presence of Ghandy, a central committee member of the
proscribed CPI (Maoist), before the court on December 11.
Ghandy, 63, was handed over to the Andhra Pradesh police
on November 18 as he was facing charges there under the
Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention)
Act in the case.
Ghandy, an ideologue and think-tank of the banned
outfit, has been booked for various charges under the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act after his arrest here on September
Delhi police, which had on October 31 secured a green
signal from a lower court to conduct narco-analysis test on
Ghandy, suffered a setback after the Delhi High Court stayed
it on his plea that constitutional validity of the invasive
test has been challenged before the Supreme Court.
His release, along with that of two other leaders, was
reportedly demanded by Maoists for the safe return of abducted
Jharkhand police Inspector Francis Induwar, who was later
beheaded near Ranchi.
An alumni of the prestigious Doon School, Ghandy was
in the top echelons of erstwhile CPI-ML (People`s War Group)
from 1981 and continued as Central Committee member in CPI
(Maoist). He was elected to its Politburo in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement