Court issues production warrant against Kobad Ghandy
New Delhi: A local court on Friday issued a
production warrant against top Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy
who is in custody of Andhra Pradesh Police in connection with
a case registered against him in Karimnagar district in 2008.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja sought
presence of Ghandy, a central committee member of the
proscribed CPI (Maoist), before the court on December 11.
Ghandy, 63, was handed over to the Andhra Pradesh police
on November 18 as he was facing charges there under the
Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention)
Act in the case.
Ghandy, an ideologue and think-tank of the banned
outfit, has been booked for various charges under the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act after his arrest here on September
Delhi police, which had on October 31 secured a green
signal from a lower court to conduct narco-analysis test on
Ghandy, suffered a setback after the Delhi High Court stayed
it on his plea that constitutional validity of the invasive
test has been challenged before the Supreme Court.
His release, along with that of two other leaders, was
reportedly demanded by Maoists for the safe return of abducted
Jharkhand police Inspector Francis Induwar, who was later
beheaded near Ranchi.
An alumni of the prestigious Doon School, Ghandy was
in the top echelons of erstwhile CPI-ML (People`s War Group)
from 1981 and continued as Central Committee member in CPI
(Maoist). He was elected to its Politburo in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city