Court remands suspected LeT operatives in JC till Dec 20
Mumbai: A local court on Tuesday remanded in judicial custody till December 20, two suspected LeT terror operatives, arrested for allegedly plotting strikes on oil and military installations in Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Gujarat and a railway station in the metropolis.
Mohammed Shareef Thakkar (33) and Mohammed Isak Kumlakh
(29) were arrested on November 15 from neighbouring Thane
district by state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS). Two pistols and
13 live cartridges were recovered from them.
On expiry of their police custody today, the duo was
produced before a court here. The ATS did not seek further
police custody following which the court subsequently remanded
the duo to judicial custody till December 20, police said.
The ATS had earlier claimed that the two, belonging to
Lashkar-e-Taiba, hailed from Jammu and Kashmir`s Rajouri
district. However, no such address was found when a team of
ATS officials went there to verify.
Investigators suspect that the duo could be from
According to ATS, the two, who were working as oil tanker
drivers for a private firm in Thane, are members of terror
outfit LeT and are suspected of having conducted a recce of
several oil and military installations in Maharashtra,
Rajasthan and Gujarat.
The duo were instructed by their handlers to gather
details about oil installations in the three states and
military installations in Mumbai, Pune and Aurangabad.
Thakkar had also conducted a recce of Mumbai Central
Railway Station in the city, the ATS claimed.
Thakkar has been living in Talasari for the past 10
years, while Kumlakh has been residing in the same town for
the last five years, ATS sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!